Data Protection Policy
We recognise our responsibility as an organisation collecting personal data to handle that data in a way that is commensurate with the Data Protection Act and our values as an organisation.
The law states:
- Personal data shall be processed fairly and lawfully
- Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or purposes.
- Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.
- Personal data shall be accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- Personal data processed for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
- Personal data shall be processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects (individuals).
- Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.
- Personal data shall not be transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedoms of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
- Only collect data that is absolutely necessary for us to run events, safely, securely and in compliance with other legal obligations
- Hold your data for a maximum of 3 days after the published event end time. This allows us to resolve any issues within a reasonable timeframe
- Only share personal data if absolutely necessary and only when relevant.
- We will provide security with a list of everyone in the building (names and next of kin) in case of a fire
- In the case of a missing person or medical emergency, we will pass on the information we have on you (including next of kin) to the emergency services
- Securely store your data in a master spreadsheet that only organisers have access to
- Anonymyse the statistics which we may pass on to sponsors
- Provide MLH with attendee information so they can assign your university points in the overall rankings
We will not
- Pass on your data to any third party (except as listed above) without your consent. This includes CVs, contact details, and other personal information.
- Sell your data to our sponsors. We provide sponsors with anonymised statistics to show age/university/diversity breakdowns, but we do not share any identifiable or personal data with them.